Attractions

Attractions on the Podlaskie White Stork Trail:

0,0 km

Białowieża National Park

  • PalacePark,NaturalHistoryMuseum, Orłówka Reserve, Hwoźna Reserve, European Bison Breeding Reserve,
  • Educational Trails: Landscapes of the Primeval Forest, Bison’s Ribs, Trees of the Primeval Forest, Power Spot, Royal Oaks Trail and Trail of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania,
  • Białowieża Cross-border Trail – awarded the 2008 Polish Tourist Organisation Certificate for Best Brand Tourist Product.

Białowieża

  • St. Nicholas the Wonderworker Orthodox Church, 1889-1894, with its porcelain iconostasis,
  • Wooden cemetery Orthodox Church of St. Cyril and Methodius, 1873,
  • St. Theresa of Baby Jesus Church, 1927-35,
  • Former freight railway station (nowadays a restaurant),
  • Tsar’s wooden hunting manor, 1845, (nowadays Nature Education Centre of theBiałowieżaNational Park),
  • Other Tsar’s buildings (Marshal’s House, Tsar’s Stables, Banya House, Chauffeurs’ House),
  • Open-air Museum of Wooden Architecture of the Russian Population in Podlaskie.

21,6 km

Narewka  

  • St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, 2nd half 19th c.; Jewish cemetery, Siemianówka Reservoir (lookout towers in Babia Góra and Kosy Most),
  • Educational trails: Oaks Trail, Trail of Primeval Forest Marshes, and St. Eustace’s Trail.

32,7 km

Lewkowo Stare

  • St. Peter and Paul Orthodox Church, late 18th c.

50,1 km

Narew

  • Church of the Assumption of Holy Virgin Mary and St. Stanislaus the Martyr, 1748,
  • Elevation of the Holy Cross Orthodox Church.

 55,8 km

Land of Open Shutters

  • Trześcianka – Soce – Puchły route, wooden houses with richly ornamented shutters (late 19th, early 20th c.).

86,0 km

Doktorce  

  • Ropes course,
  • Two chapels from mid-19th c. and a large concentration of the white stork (40 nests) in Zawyki.

97,9 km

Suraż 

  • Medieval settlement - Góra Królowej Bony (Queen Bona’s Hill),
  • Corpus ChristiChurch, 1873-1876,
  • Museums of: Archaeology and Ethnography, Heritage, Crosses and Shrines,
  • Early medieval Slavic settlement “Nawia”,
  • Burial mounds from 4th c. in Suraż, Zawyki, Doktorce and Średzińskie.

130,7 km

Narew National Park

  • Kurowo Manor with surrounding park and lookout tower – Narew National Park HQ,
  • Educational trails: Marshy Duckboard, Waniewo – Śliwno Duckboard,ManorParkin Kurowo, Kruszewo,Narew, Wandering along the Narew Banks,
  • “Abutment of aWashedAwayBridge” and ruins of a concrete Dutch windmill of1936 inKruszewo,
  • Ruins of the Koziołek Fort in the fork of the Kurówka andNarew.

146,5 km

Tykocin 

  • Baroque trapezoid-shaped main square, featuring a monument to Stefan Czarniecki, 1761-1763,
  • HolyTrinityChurch, 1742-1750,
  • Observant Monastic Complex (present social welfare centre), 1771-1791,
  • Baroque synagogue from 1642 and a Talmudic House – a branch ofPodlaskieMuseum,
  • Kirkut – Jewish cemetery, 16th c.,
  • Seminary, 1633-1645, (present board and lodgings establishment),
  • Manor of the administrator of Tykocin estate, 18th c., (present Culture Centre),
  • Fortifications ofKingSigismundAugustusCastle, (rebuilt – private property),
  • Monument to the Order of the White Eagle, 1982.

2 kmfrom Tykocin – black linking route

Pentowo  

  • 7th European Stork Village of Pentowo featuring 26 white stork nests. An agritourist farmstead in the historic Toczyłowski Family Manor House. 12-metre-high lookout tower. Unique White Stork Gallery with works of famous photographers on display.

200,4 km

Biebrza National Park

  • TheBiebrzaNational ParkEducation and Management Centre in Osowiec-Twierdza,
  • Educational trails: Field Educational Centre (red and green marks), Honczarowska Dike, Raised Bog, Forest, Around Fort IV of the Osowiec Stronghold, Brzeziny Kapickie, Dunes, Barwik, Long Luka, Biebrza Marshes - Nowy Lipsk, Biebrza Marshes – Szuszalewo, Forest at the Grabs, Bee-keeper’s Woods, Biały Grąd,
  • Tsar’s Route, Osowiec Stronghold and theAugustówCanal.

Osowiec – Twierdza

  • Osowiec Stronghold, 1882–1892, with four forts: fort I – Centralny (Central) open for tourists, fort II – Zarzeczny (Behind the River), fort III – Szwedzki (Swedish), fort IV – Nowy (New),
  • OsowiecStrongholdMuseum,
  • Polish war shelters from 1939.

206,3 km

Goniądz

  • St. Agnes and St. Anthony of Padua Church, 1922-1924,
  • St.Florian Chapel, 1864,
  • Cemetery chapel of Holy Spirit, 1907,
  • Wooden water mill, late 19th c.

223,2 km

Dolistowo Stare

  • ChurchofSt. Lawrence,  1789-1791,
  • Windmill from mid-19th c.

242,0 km

Jaminy

  • Wooden St. Matthew Church, originally built in late 1780s in Augustów and transferred to Jaminy in 1845.

248,7 km

Sztabin

  • St. Jacob the Apostle Church, 1905–1910,
  • Roman Gębicz Regional Chamber,
  • Harbour on the Biebrza.

257,2 km

Krasnybór

  • Annunciation of Holy Virgin Mary Church, 1584–1589,
  • St. Roch Chapel, late 18th c.

307,0 km

Mikaszówka 

  • Wooden St. Maria Magdalena Church, 1907, with an original interior deer and elk antler decorations,
  • Mikaszówka -  one of the locks onAugustówCanal, 1828.

Augustów Canal

  • One of the most precious and popular monuments of Polish technology of early 19th c.,
  • Navigable canal linking the Narew, Biebrza andNeman,
  • Out of the Canal’s 18 locks, there are 14 on the Polish side, 3 on the Belarusian side and 1 border lock (Kurzyniec),
  • Proposed for inscription onto the World Heritage List of UNESCO,
  • Awarded the 2009 Polish Tourist Organisation Golden Certificate for Best Brand Tourist Product.

322,0 km

Głęboki Bród

  • TheCzarnaHańczaRiver– the most beautiful river of theSuwałkiLandand a popular kayak route.

339,8 km

Czerwony Folwark

  • “History and Tradition of Fishing onLakeWigry” exhibition in theWigryNational Parkfishing base.

341,5 km

Wigry

  • Post-Camaldolese Monastic Complex, which includes the Church of Immaculate Conception of Our Lady, 1704-1745, destroyed in 1915 and again in 1944, restored in 1944-55 and in 1980s, located on a partly artificial Wigry Peninsula,
  • LakeWigrycruises onboard the Papal cruise-ship “Tryton”, which used to host Pope John Paul II.

344,2 km

Stary Folwark

  • WigryMuseum– museum and education centre of theWigryNational Parklocated in a former Hydrobiology Station,
  • Polish Tourist Country-lovers’ Society Centre – a historic hostel with a beautiful view of theWigryLakeand monastery.    

350,4 km.

Wigry National Park

  • Wigry National Park HQ in Krzywe,
  • “On the Wigry” nature exhibition, “Save from Oblivion” ethnographic exhibition, “Carvings in Stone” permanent post open air exhibition,
  • Educational trails: Lakes, Forest, Amphibians,PrimevalForest, Suchars – theForestLakes.

378,2 km.

Szelment near Jeleniewo  

  • Regional Sports and Recreation Centre in Szelment is a high-end active tourism and winter sports complex.

388,5 km.

Gulbieniszki

  • Cisowa Hill – popularly nicknamed the “Suwałki Fujiyama”, “Gulbieniszki Hill” or “Thrown up Hill” is a perfect spot to admire the panorama of theSuwałkiLandscapePark.

Suwałki Landscape Park

  • Suwałki Landscape Park HQ in Malesowizna – education and accommodation centre, regional chamber,
  • Educational trails: Up to the Castle Hill, Trees and Shrubs of the manor park in Stara Hańcza, Around Lake Jaczno, Along the Czarna Hańcza Valley, Lichen,
  • Castle Hill,HangingValleyof Gaciska,LakeHańcza,
  • Rock-fields: Bachanowo on the Czarna Hańcza, Łopuchowskie, Rutka.

412,5 km

Stańczyki

  • “Aqueducts of the Romnicka Primeval Forest” – historic railway bridges in Stańczyki are among Poland’s highest (length - 200m, height - 36m). The northern bridge was constructed in 1912-1914, and the southern one in 1923-1926. 
Podlaska Regionalna Organizacja Turystyczna Wrota Podlasia Polska Organizacja Turystyczna Piękny Wschód Greenways